Monday, April 12, 2010

Dr. Appointment = Disappointment

Well as some of you know I've been having knee problems lately. Some others of you may also know I've dealt with knee issues since about age 10 or 12.
Last week I finally went to an orthopedic Dr. cause my knee had finally had it and I couldn't stand it any longer. The Dr. took an x-ray and thought it looked odd, but wanted a MRI done on it to see more. He thought maybe my meniscus was torn.
Today I went and the Dr. showed me the MRI photos.
No torn meniscus, that's good, I thought....
Well, lets just say I wish that's all it was.
He said my problem is something I was born with. I have no idea what the name of it is or if there even is a name for it. No blood flow goes to part of my bone so therefore I now have a dead part of bone in there. He showed me why my knee keeps locking up at random times and why it gets better. It's pieces of dead bone floating around in my knee, he said it's like having rocks in your shoe. So that's why at times it feels okay, then in a blink of an eye I'm limping and have horrid pain. He said one of them is a quarter inch thick.
Bummer.
The good news is, April 28th I have arthroscopic surgery, with a possible surgery... he has to wait and see what it looks like when he gets in there.
The bad news... I have a dead bone. Meaning it can keep falling apart. Since it's something I was born with and not due to an injury, it may be the same on my other knee. I have had troubles with it, but not as bad.
The big bummer??
I'm still in my twenties, stuff like this happens to "older" people, right??!!
I asked him if I'll need to get knee replacements or something? He said, "Well you'll have to do SOMETHING.... you're young and you have a lot of years for damage to happen."
I told him I have to stay healthy and mobile, cause my husband has MS. He said he'll talk with me about the future after surgery.
My husbands response??
Other then being sad he said, " We could have racing matches in our wheel chairs!" Haha, very funny honey. (;
I'm hoping for the best out of this disappointing news.
Please just pray God gives us clear direction on what doctors to see in the future and be able to find the root problem to it all before it get too bad.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Such a bummer... We are praying for you...

Terah said...

Ugh!

At least we live in an age where doctors can fix all these things for us. I am always so thankful whenever I think of Gwyneth's poor eyes and how much better they are because of her wonderful doctor.


Hopefully this will at least fix it for an extended period.

And I, for one, am much more excited to see the walker races. I'm rooting for you 'cause you'll fight dirty.

Craig and Heather said...

We will be praying for you Shelby,

Craig

Karina said...

I am so thankful that even though our bodies and the world as we know it have fallen into states of disrepair and decay...He has made a way for us to be with Him; in eternally renewed bodies; in an eternally spotless place! Keeping our eyes upon Him, we will continue to pray for you and your family Shelby!

Heidi said...

Oh weird.

So it really has nothing to do with Mr. Shin-guard-breaker-dude?

I will be praying for you for sure!

Does he have any idea what causes the lack of blood flow? (did I miss that part?)

Let me know if you need babysitters for those days.

Love ya.

The Chad Beck's said...

Thanks guys,
I really don't know as much as I should right now. I wish he was willing to talk more about the future, but I kinda am scared to hear it. :(
He wasn't even clear on if a knee replacement would be an option??!
I surely hope, but meanwhile I'm going to stay as positive as possible and know God has a plan in it all.

Staci said...

Thinking of you Shelby!!! So sorry to hear it...but better to get it fixed now while you are young!!! The older you get...the worse it is...and the longer the recovery!!! Hang in there! :-)

Imagine That! said...

OK so from my perspective a wheelchair is not such a bad thing. Two wheelchairs now that is getting a little tricky. I think we will all keep praying for no wheelchair for either of you. I just have to say God knows you can handle a lot. Why you guys have to deal with sooo much is beyond me, but Praise God for your faithfulness.