Friday, November 14, 2008

End of the Spear


A must see movie!


My dad got this movie and then let us borrow it the other night. I remember the story, I believe Mrs. Jensen read it to a bunch of us for a literature class. It's based on a true story. Very sad but very inspirational.


here's the info on it...

Many years after his missionary father was speared to death at the hands of Waodani tribesmen, a young man returns to the Ecuadorian jungle to meet the native who murdered his father and learn the truth about his family's legacy. The result is a life-altering experience that brings him closer to the kin of his father's killer.


here's a link to you tube if you want to view a preview, maybe you all have already seen it, but if not I really would recommend it. If you do you need to watch after the credits run, it shows real video of them, pretty neat.

9 comments:

Crystal said...

Yeah it is a really good one. My mom has some friend's in Boise and their family actually worked with this tribe also... I guess my Mom and her friend took the father out of the nursing home to see it in the theater.. .and it was very emotional for them all.

Dana Allard said...

"through gates of spendor" is the name of the book. I have it, but I've never read it. Everybody tells me it's good. I guess I should make the time. We did our church homeschool play on that story when I was in high school. I want to see the movie, but I have to talk AJ into it. He thinks it looks boring :(

Terah said...

Been wanting to see it!
I remember reading the book at school, too.

Can't believe how much Chad Allen looks like Dennis in this! I guess they were pretty upset they picked him for the part after finding out he's openly gay and they somehow missed it. Looks like he did a good job though.

Ryan said...

I recommend this story in movie or book... (I almost always prefer the book, because most movies lose something in the details...)

Our area is filled with people who have either lived this, support the work directly, or are going into this work.

Consider Quest Aircraft with a new aircraft for the field...

Consider also Moody Aviation which is now in Spokane, training new pilots and mechanics to serve the Lord by taking the Gospel to remote regions...

Condsider MAF - recently moved from Redlands, California to Nampa/Caldwell near Boise.

Somewhat selfishly, consider myself and my company who do whatever we can to support missions aviation, including MAF and JAARS...

The mission field is always changing... New pilots are getting scarce. Their missions have changed too. Many countries don't allow "missionaries", but will allow pilots who are needed to bring in medical supplies, food and the like. The pilots now, more than ever are the missionaries now.

Please watch the movie and pray for all involved? Investing in the Kingdom, Ryan

Shaggy said...

Apparently Terah forgets that we seen this in theater.

There is a movie that Terah will have to remember the name of - it was not exactly a Christian movie, but it was about two people who went to a "third-world" country to help orphans. It was sad as many died with illness, but we both felt such a compelling burden to live a life of compassion like that. I have an incredible respect for missionaries! People lovers!

The Chad Beck's said...

We have Beyond Gates of Spendor in our Netflix queue, it's a documentary on the real story. I want to watch that since I'm not a book reader. :)
Dana- AJ would like it, it's far from boring! My dad liked it a lot and he's not into "drama" this is far from drama, real life stuff and really good, we thought anyways.
Terah- Yuck! I didn't know that about him! Well he looks like the real guy so maybe that's why? yucky though...
Ryan- Yes. It mades me feel guilty there are people serving God in crazy ways like that, and I have a struggle serving Him here?? I don't understand, but it's a real eye opener. I know it's not for everyone to go to another country to spread the word, but the least I can do is spread it here. Chad always gets those voice of the martyrs each month, I sometimes look through it, but it's really hard for me to see what Christians go through to spread the word, they have some nasty photos in them, not something I let my kids get to! very sad, but I respect them greatly. You should watch the documentary sometime, it looks pretty good.

Terah said...

Well, I thought we just saw the preview 'cause that's all I can remember about it. I'm a little fuzzy these days. Sorry. (:

Ryan said...

I do not wish to guilt anyone into anything "ministry-minded". But I do hope to encourage us to take on the ministry of prayer for one another, both near and far.

We are called to minister where we are. There is no secular work for the Christian.

For example: We are parents struggling to teach our children biblically in a world that would have us neglect sound teaching. It is a high calling, and it is a tough calling. But it is a rewarding calling, and to neglect it is to bring only sorrow upon our own heads.

Missionaries have a calling too. It is not entirely different, but they often have to leave all the normal comforts to follow it.

All believers have a calling to live out our faith in the same ways - to spread the Gospel in our daily life. This calling is not unique to some few in our midst.

We all have different gifts and different levels of maturity. This works its way out by our seeking God daily, aligning our life to the Word of God and then obeying. It is tough and rewarding, and any Christian who fails to follow through is missing the greater joy available to any of us.

In the hardest times, as you know, God is most evident to His children. He brings strength and peace to do that ministry which is "ours" to do, by His power. As we do these things, He is faithful to reveal to us His desire to work, and we then join Him in that work. It is not some weird "out-there" thing, nor is it a call to Africa for everyone. It is simply us seeing things through God's eyes and offering to Him our hands and feet to follow through.

Our motive then is love for God and love for others.

Karina said...

We have 'Beyond Gates of Splendour' which is interesting, as it is a doco style with the real wives etc. We were a little disapointed at the lack of the focus on what the guys were trying to achieve though...ie, there was not much about salvation or Christ, but it did make the daily logistics of life in the missionary field a little clearer and gave a wrap up to 'what happened next...' etc. We'll have to watch the movie you recommended, although a dramatisation, it still sounds good. Coincidentally, I just finished (re)reading the biography of Jim Elliot. I love reading missionaries' biographies...they always challenge me in various ways. One of the things that always stands out for me when I read about Jim Elliot was not only his passion for Christ, but that he was not without his faults...he was a normal human...just like me. He gave himself completely to God to use, and ended up living a life which has gone on to glorify the Kingdom in so many ways. It is a reminder to me to love God, to seek His will and desires for my life so that they become my desires, listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit in my heart, obey, and pray continually.